Actually, the research is waiting to be done, but a lot of people
(including me) think we are producing generations with better writing
skills than in the last few centuries.  For many generations, the only
thing anyone wrote in a typical life was book reviews in school,
reports for their boss, and maybe some letters.  Since some time in
the nineties, a high proportion of communication, in particular young
people’s communication, has been in writing.  You may not think SMS
messages are good or careful writing, but they are writing.  How do
you get good at ANYTHING?  Practice practice practice.

--
- Tim Bray (If you’d like to send me a private message, see
https://keybase.io/timbray)