Is that Christine STEALING an Andrew Wyeth painting?

Jack

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ann Sanfedele" <ann...@nyc.rr.com>
To: "PDML" <pdml@pdml.net>
Sent: Sunday, September 7, 2014 1:05:35 PM
Subject: Re: Geso - 2015 calendar work files

On 9/7/2014 14:28, Bob W-PDML wrote:
> It's quite a disturbing collection of photos.
  I think you have the basis of a good exhibition, but I'm not sure
  that many people would buy it as a calendar.

Well I don't want MOST of it on _my_ kitchen wall :-)  Good point about
the mixture which troubles me as well... wow - good point about the
"there goes the neighborhood" photo -

> It is quite a polarised set,
  with about half them expressing considerable anxiety,
  really overshadowed by what looks like smoke billowing out of the
tower in #3,

  and another half seeming fairly optimistic (Staten Island ferry),

  but I'm not sure how you can make the 2 halves work together to the
greatest effect.

> 6, 9, 11, 12 (I know - Xmas) and 13 seem weakest to me in that context.

well so far 11 seems to be a good candidate for removal - though I'm
awfully fond of it. I will say that the young these days seem to have a
fondness for what you and I are look at as depressing, and the true funk
of the city (witness the "Living dead" series here and such)
I've done two color calendars of New York that are not funky - and one
that was. The funky "back in the Day" (the 1970's calendar) calendar had
the most sales, fan mail and a write up on a blog about vanishing New
York.

13 is a super shot - I like the way the Adidas stripes echo the railings
and bench
  (and HCB's man jumping over a puddle), but it feels a bit sub-Erwitt
and in the wrong collection.

Re 13 - I wasn't really planning to use it, actually. The 16 photos are
part of a gallery that include several more that are hiding while I work
out the calendar... partly because the color versions are in other
calendars already in print.

If I were not so slothful I'd get cracking on splitting out the funk and
funny from the nice views..

> Great stuff though.

Thanks, great to have your thoughtful input