On 9/21/2014 4:41 PM, Ciprian Dorin Craciun wrote:
On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 11:28 PM, John <sesso...@earthlink.net> wrote:
Combining exposures in an HDR program may be the tool you need to get
the results you want. But that doesn't mean it has to LOOK like an HDR
image when you're finished.

I'm not sure what camera you're using (other than it's one that can
mount Pentax lenses), but I'm pretty sure that all Pentax DSLRs since
the K-7 have had a built in HDR function that you might want to
experiment with. It's not exactly "all in one exposure", but it's about
as close as I think you can get in camera.

     Indeed my camera, a K-30, does have built-in HDR;  however I don't
think HDR would suite me too much, mainly because:
     * if done in the camera I have almost zero control over it (except
the base exposure and the amount of "HDR-ness");
     * if done in post-processing (if I bracket RAW's) I'm afraid I
don't have enough experience to do it right;  (I'm still struggling
with RAW conversion);
     * maybe the biggest factor, working exclusively on Linux, I think
I lack the proper (i.e. quality) tooling for HDR;
     * plus, I have a feeling that HDR is like cheating:  if I can't
get the picture right in one exposure then either my technique is
lacking, or perhaps I should come back another day when the light is
more forgiving;

Someone once told me "If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin' hard enough!"