I’m serving as volunteer photodocumentarian for a youth development project in
the community in which I worked before retiring. The project brings Emory
University students together with middle and high school age youth from this
extremely diverse low-income community around storytelling—collecting stories,
composing stories, presenting stories; stories of the participating youth
themselves—many are refugees and have dramatic stories to tell; stories of
significant adults in the community; and through the latter stories of the
community.

The director of the project has decided he wants decent, interesting portraits
of the youth for an assignment he wants to give them. He has a model, a
wonderful book of simple, interesting, and beautiful portraits of high school
youth done by a professional photographer, Dawoud Bey.
<http://www.dawoudbey.net/index.php/photographs/class-pictures/> I did the best
I could without notice last week. I spent the hour and a half of the session
getting in the faces of individual  students. Gradually the students I got
comfortable with what I was doing. I have not finished processing the images
yet, but I sense that there are going to be very few that I would consider
adequate for the purpose.

I think I’m going to have to do something different this week, which is the
last opportunity to get the portraits before they are needed. I’m thinking of
taking a tripod, setting it up somewhere it the room in which the project
meets, and pulling students out one-by-one. That is going to be challenging
enough, but I have no idea what to do to get interesting photos, photos that
are at least somewhat revealing of the character of the subjects, once I have
the kids in front of the camera.

I am frankly intimidated by the director’s model, the Dawoud Bey book. No way
am I going to be able to do anything lie what he has done, but something like
what he has done is what is wanted/needed. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net