The writer of the article shows his own biases in the following statement:

"Photography can easily degenerate into a pseudo-art, with millions of
people all taking pictures of the same things and all thinking we are
special.

This amateur delusion of photographic art is everywhere today – from
Instagramto the streets and hills, where there is always someone
taking their holiday snaps too damn seriously.

This strange plagiarism row exposes the illusion on which today’s mass
camera cult rests. Both these amateur photographers were convinced
their creativity was special. The truth is that words like creativity,
individuality, talent and originality don’t readily apply when you
have a planet of people all taking photos."

Anytime someone purports to know what anybody is thinking (let alone
"millions of people" are thinking) you either have a serious God
Complex or they are revealing more about their own motivations.

Forget the argument regarding whether photography is an art or a
craft. Even a single photographer can have different motivations for
creating images. I doubt that many of us aspire to be thought of as
the most special photographer on the planet. This guy's idea of
"special" is rather extreme also.

Switch the topic from photography to the culinary arts. Lots of people
have made a souffle in the world. But one still feels a sense of
accomplishment when one does it for themselves. It really doesn't
matter how many other people have done it before, or even done it
better. We are satisified to create a souffle that pleases our
intended audience, whether that be ourselves alone or those invited to
the dinner party. If there is an element of feeling special about that
(otherwise known as taking a certain pride in one's accomplishments,
who is anyone else to care?) Who is anyone else to take you to task or
feel it is their job to knock you down a few pegs?

The author uses loaded language like "cult" in describing
photographers as well. He paints with not just a broad brush, but a
very broad ROLLER. I would suggest that the author is probably a
failed or frustrated photographer himself. Or maybe he simply has a
personality disorder. At the very least he is not capable of very
abstract thought to distill all photographers in the world down to a
single "cult" entity as he has.

He also uses a very specific situation that does not really illustrate
the way most photographs are made. The iceberg photographers did not
have the luxury of selecting a radically different perspective of the
subject as you would in a normal situation (unless they wanted to show
that they were on a ship and put something in the foreground). So of
course their images were the same. They could not choose to move
closer or farther away. Getting low to the ground or higher would not
change the resulting image much. But most photographs do not have
these limitations. They are not taken by multiple people from exactly
the same perspective at the exact same time/date in exactly the same
light (etc.) So he uses a very specific case in a misguided attempt to
draw larger conclusions.

In any event, EVEN if everyone on that ship took the exact same photo,
they probably did so to record the memory, to share with their family
& friends back home. To possibly make a print for the wall. Is the
writer suggesting that only ONE of those people had the right to
create a "special" image? Even if we accepted that there was a
component of "feeling special" to the act, does that make it wrong.
They probably were privileged in some way to be on vacation, to be on
that cruise, to be there to see that iceberg. They ARE probably
"special",  in that regard, in their circle of friends, family, or
associates. No not special in the UNIVERSE or in the WORLD, but they
don't have the same scope of friends, relatives & associates as the
other people on that cruise. They all were special in a way.

The writer has a job to do. He has a beast he needs to feed. That
requires him to pound out articles on SOMETHING. He doesn't have to
make sense or coherent arguments. He just needs to get eyeballs to
read his stuff so that he can justify getting paid to write more in
the future. In a sense, he probably tries to be incendiary. People
getting mad and discussing his stuff proves that he's gotten those
eyeballs.

<rant off>

--
Life is too short to put up with bad bokeh.