On Sat, Jun 13, 2015 at 11:18 PM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:
> One thing that I haven't figured out how to do efficiently with rsync is for
> it to track when I move a directory.
>
> I will upload photos into a generic (for this half of the year) directory,
> then move that shoot into a monthly directory.  So as far as I can tell
> rsync will either give me two copies, or will have to copy, delete, recopy
> at least once for every photo.

[Sorry for replying one month late, I'm shovelling through the mail queue.]  :)

rsync does know how to find "moved" files, if one uses **twice** the
`--fuzzy` option plus the `--copy-dest` and the `--delete-after`
options.

Basically, with your workflow, assuming you have an `inbox` folder
where you throw your "current" photos, all you need to specify is
`--copy-dest inbox`.

(Needless to say I haven't tested this, but according to the
documentation it does what you want.)

Ciprian.

P.S.:  If you are already using rsync, perhaps you should throw a look
at `rdiff-backup`.