>Do you mean like two full-frame models with different Mpx count sensors?
>
>What sensors would be available for Ricoh to use for new Pentax DSLR
>cameras? I'm thinking the 42Mpx Sony sensor was chosen because Sony was
>willing to sell it to Ricoh in the quantities Ricoh wants for the
>projected Pentax FF DSLR.
>
>Would new full-frame models with 24Mpx or 36Mpx undercut the sales of
>the putative 42Mpx full-frame Pentax DSLR?
>
>The K3 is already 24Mpx. Would prospective buyers see a 24Mpx FF DSLR
>from Pentax as a step up or a step back or a step sideways?
>
>I think Nikon uses a 36Mpx Sony sensor in the D800.

It's like Toyota introducing the Avalon as a sales step between Camry &
Lexus.
Many are happy with the 24MP K3 class of camera.
But we all know the improvement in image formation on larger sensors.
A 24MP FF would meet that need though the price would probably be higher.
(This is evident in Bill Gekas' shots w/ the 645 vs the smaller sensor. It
makes a difference.)
And the older the smaller sensor gets the more its price will drop as a
commodity.
A $400 or so price difference is enough to allow good customer choice.
If it were a $200 difference I would agree.
But that's speculation.  We'll just have to wait and see.