Bruce Walker wrote:

> Good to hear, Malcolm. And the great thing is you can start out pretty
> cheaply too.
>
> One of my favourite tricks is to create what appears to be ambient
> window light where there is none so the shot looks "natural". I do that
> with one or more cheap manual flashes and some white reflector card, or
> even just white walls.
>
> Like this shot:
> http://off-axis.brucemwalker.com/image/85678223657
>
> At a quick glance everyone says, "okay: a big window camera-left,
> right?"
>
> Nope. A big v-flat made of white foamcore with three $50 Neewer flashes
> firing into it. One is radio triggered ($20 Cowboy Studios) and the
> other two are slaved to the "master". This arrangement can be used to
> light up a group of people standing, at f:5.6 ISO 100.
>
> Your black subject on black background is a good example of a tricky
> _metering_ situation, but you could easily light that with just window
> light. :)
>
> I think you'll enjoy getting into these more interesting photo
> challenges. It sure keeps me busy. :)

Thanks Bruce. I have to admit this is something which has caught my
imagination, and I can start with an open mind. I'll take a look around for
the things I need to make a start shortly. I have from a purchase of a job
lot some two or three years ago ended up with about 6 working flashes. They
will be ideal for remote by cord (they are old units) and I have several
reflectors and spare foamboard from print mounting - it's just lights as the
main expense, and I have a place to use this in good weather - I have an
empty 12' x 8' timber shed, which I can practice lighting objects in, with
no fear of people tripping over anything I set up. You have to start
somewhere!

Malcolm