P.J. Alling wrote:
Once again proving to me that Reuters is like all current news
organizations run on auto pilot by idiots.

It does provide a certain amount of verisimilitude to the files. It would probably take someone who know what they were doing the better part of a day to write a program that could fake an in camera jpeg from a raw file.

It give me an idea for an interesting feature for a digital camera. Each camera is programmed with a private/public key pair, where the private key is randomly generated, and not readable. Every raw file is signed with the private key with the signature and public key stored in the exif. It might also be possible to steganographicly watermark the raw file with the digital signature.

Any photo submitted must also include the signed raw file.

Spoofing this would at least require a non-trivial amount of processing.