B&W Film the standard for Newspaper work until sometime in the 80's was the raw of it's day. Here's the thing, either you trust your trained witnesses, (reporters and photographers), or you fire them and get someone you can trust. It wouldn't be so bad if the fakes were clever and hard to spot, but most were obvious fakes. That speaks almost as poorly for the intelligence of the editorial staff as it does for the honesty of the reporting staff. As has been pointed out there are a number of ways to spoof the EXIF data in a jpeg file, and a talented Photoshop user can produce nearly undetectable revisions. I read in the comments of that article that some Nikon Cameras embed a checksum in each picture file, in an attempt to thwart modifications, but hell once you know how any number id generated, it's just as easy to replace that as well.