brief answer: my hunch is the graphics chip difference won't matter much because the VRAM matters more — and both have 2GB; i would personally greatly prefer an external SSD to a Fusion Drive; however choose carefully — most Thunderbolt solutions will use a SATA drive, whereas PCIe is a lot faster with the right SSD

On 2015-11-25 11:38 , Bryan Jacoby wrote:
I am thinking of buying a new 27" iMac, one of the standard
configurations (so I can get a discount this weekend).  I'm looking at
the base and middle option.  The differences are:

AMD M380 vs. M390 graphics
1 TB 7200 RPM HD vs. 1 TB fusion drive
$200

Photo editing (lightroom) is probably the heaviest lifting the machine
will do.  I know that Lr can use the GPU but I haven't been able to
find much information about the difference between the M380 and M390.

Now that the SSD component of the fusion drive is only 24 GB I'm not
sure how much of an advantage that is over the straight HD.  If I get
the straight HD I will almost certainly use an external Thunderbolt
SSD for most things, and use the internal drive for photo + music
libraries.  If I get the fusion drive, maybe that will be fast enough
on its own, I'm not sure.  If it's not and I still end up with the
external SSD boot drive, I'm wondering if the fusion drive will
actually be worse for photo and music libraries since it is presumably
a 5400 RPM drive.

(I guess, for the price of the middle M390 + 1 TB fusion drive model +
external Thunderbolt SSD, I could get the top standard configuration
with M395 + 2 TB fusion drive + slightly faster processor.  The 2 TB
fusion drive has 128 GB of flash.  I'm just not sure how that would
perform compared to an SSD boot drive).

Thanks for any advice.