I'm more concerned about summers being too warm than winters being too cold- and Boston isn't much different than NYC these days. It has fine public transportation, a great center city, lots of culture and easy access to lovely scenic rurual areas... and a bunch
of my friends :-)

When the outside temp gets above 60 it is time for shorts and a T-shirt. The AC goes on if the apartment gets over 70.Good thing
I have rent control and can stay in this climate

ann