On 6/17/2016 8:25 PM, Bill wrote:
On 6/17/2016 5:57 PM, John Coyle wrote:
Ever since W10 was announced, Microsoft have been very clear about the free upgrade policy. You had to have W7 or W8+ installed, and the offer would end after one year post its availability in your
area.
Like Paul - I really don't understand the fuss: I upgraded as soon as it was available in OZ, and I leave my network running 24/7 (except when I'm away for a day or more), so that upgrades happen automatically without my having to bother to check: this is particularly important for malware and anti-virus updates. As a precaution to avoid missing anything which needs my intervention, I also set it to check Sunday evenings between 9.00 and midnight for OS or Office update availability. Just occasionally I get a prompt to wait while the updates happen on shutdown, but that is no hassle
as I don't generally leave it to the last minute before I need to leave.
The OS is fast and easy to use: my only beef with the latest versions of MS software is with Edge, which does not behave like Internet Explorer WRT the 'Home' key - totally unpredictable response. I still have a laptop which came with Vista installed - unfortunately it's one of those which won't be able to be upgraded to W10, but I might try to install W7 if I can find a cheap(legal) copy!
Both OS's are stable and work well, IMO.

I can understand it if you don't want to learn a new interface. I bought my wife a laptop that came with Windows 8. With the help of this list, I was directed to Classic Skins, and was able to make it look liker her old XP machine, which made her happy.

It's not just the new interface, Win10 is a hell of a lot more intrusive than previous versions of Windows. Collecting data on the user and phoning it home. I dislike my spyware being disguised as an operating system.

immortality through not dying.
-- Woody Allen