It wasn't the built in spell check, it was some kind of add on. The original is enabled, but I really don't pay enough attention to it.

On 6/30/2016 2:27 PM, John wrote:
There should be a way to turn the spell-checker on in an advisory
only capacity, so that it will tell you when it thinks you've misspelled
a word.

You can then choose to change the spelling or add the word to the
spell-checker's dictionary.