Brian Walters wrote:
That's an attractive little beastie which, I gather, is non venomous....

It looks a little like a Legless Lizard.  I have a photo of one of those
around here somewhere - I'll try to dig it up and PESO it.

Unless you're a fairly small insects, garter snakes are pretty benign. It's possible that if you really irritate one it might bite you, but their primary defense seems to be pooping.

Interesting, it seems that they actually are venomous, for humans don't need to worry at all values of venomous.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garter_snake

If disturbed, a garter snake may coil and strike, but typically it will hide its head and flail its tail. These snakes will also discharge a malodorous, musky-scented secretion from a gland near the cloaca. They often use these techniques to escape when ensnared by a predator. They will also slither into the water to escape a predator on land. Hawks, crows, raccoons, crayfish, and other snake species (such as the coral snake and king snake) will eat garter snakes, with even shrews and frogs eating the juveniles.

also

Garter snakes were long thought to be nonvenomous, but recent discoveries have revealed they do, in fact, produce a mild neurotoxic venom.[4] Garter snakes cannot kill humans with the small amounts of comparatively mild venom they produce, and they also lack an effective means of delivering it. They do have enlarged teeth in the back of their mouths,[5] but their gums are significantly larger.[6][7] The Duvernoy's gland of garters are posterior (to the rear) of the snake's eyes.[8] The mild venom is spread into wounds through a chewing action.