thanks Bruce. i use a fairly normal spec android phone running
marshmallow and one can't really change any of the important settings in
the default camera app. so i use another app called 'open camera':

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.sourceforge.opencamera&hl=en

fairly decent open source app and which allows one to change ISO and
white balance (which i mostly leave at auto) and one can set exposure
compensation too, which i sometimes do. perhaps you can give it a try.

~subash