I don't think they have vultures in the UK. We don't have Common
Buzzards in the U.S. The use of "Buzzard" for New World Vultures came
from English colonization in North America.

Seen from a distance, when they're soaring, the Black Vulture has a
similar appearance to the Common Buzzard English colonists would have known.

Where I grew up in the South-Eastern U.S., "Buzzard" was a common name
for the Black Vulture. Turkey Vultures were called Turkey Buzzards.