Eric Weir wrote:

>There are things that were said, though, that I did not hear. That is, didn’t
>understand.
>And probably am not going to understand when you explain it to me. What’s an
>“ISO invariant” camera?

In the early days of digital it was standard practice to apply some
amplification to the signal from the sensor prior to analog-to-digital
conversion. This was how one increased the ISO setting. It's still
used in some sensors today but other sensors change ISO setting
strictly through software. These are said to be "ISO Invariant". (Most
Sony sensors are ISO Invariant and all the ones used in recent Pentax
cameras.

What this means is that if you set the camera to, say, ISO 800 and
have a scene that meters at 1/100 sec. at f/5.6 you can, using manual
exposure, turn the ISO setting down to ISO 100 while keeping the
shutter speed and aperture at 1/100 f/5.6 even though the meter will
tell you you're 3 stops underexposed. If you just compensate later in
Lightroom or Photoshop the results will be the same as you'd have if
you'd shot at ISO 800 in camera. (This assumes one is shooting raw
format, of course.)

>If I’m to ETTR just enough to avoid clipping highlights, how much is
>too much? I shoot RAW. Should I ignore the histogram?

Don't ignore the histogram! *Any* clipping represents image data
that's gone forever.

--
Mark Roberts - Photography & Multimedia
www.robertstech.com