> On Jan 26, 2017, at 7:43 AM, Eric Weir <eew...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> Thanks, Godfrey. I notice the disadvantage you mention in the other
> post—possibly losing ability to focus accurately. Can autofocus be trusted in
> such situations?

It's not the ability to focus you lose, it's the ability to easily check focus
on the camera LCD or EVF in the field—the image display of a several stops
underexposed JPEG is too difficult to see fine detail in most of the time. The
AF system doesn't care ... so If you have confidence that the AF system (or the
viewfinder if you're focusing manually) let's you see well enough to nail the
focus correctly, it works as well as it ever did.

I don't spend a lot of time chimping, but I when working in circumstances where
I might want to maximize image detail by using the technique, I often want to
do a focus check while the setup is still there and I can reshoot.