One thing I don't like about smart previews is that if you go to 100%
magnification it loads the raw and renders it all over again. That
takes some time. I actually don't use them very often because of that.
Just working with the raw directly seems a little faster in develop
mode though if work only with the smart preview it is definitely
faster though you don't get a 100% view. It usually has enough
resolution to determine sharpness on faces usually though.