When I first read about the ban it gave me pause as well. Not least as it makes
no sense in that it directly contradicts safety warnings about LiON batteries
in checked bags.

But then I read a second time. It applies not to specific airlines, but rather
to any flights by any airline that originate in one of x bad-guy countries and
fly directly to the U.S. or U.K. It happens that no U.S. airlines have such
routes, some U.K. airlines do.
For the bad guys, this means that they will have to take connecting flights
rather than direct flights if they want to cause trouble, and that extra hassle
presumably will deter them. For the rest of us, so far the ban is irrelevant.

However, if/when it becomes more general, my plan is to keep my lenses and all
batteries in my carry-on camera pack. I will carefully pack two camera bodies,
one each in two different suitcases. Then check to verify insurance coverage,
cross my fingers, and go.

stan