For the overall number, I just realized, I was counting only the airports designated by FAA as "Commercial service - primary" ( over 10 000 passenger boardings per year). You probably included "Commercial service - nonprimary" (between 2.5K and 10K boardings per year).

On one hand, I didn't find the list of the latter upon a quick look. On the other hand, I suspected that most of those are serviced by charter flights. But now, I am thinking that small airports with a single daily flight (say CRJ-100) with about half load on average (say, 25 passengers on average) would not meet the 10-K cut-off. And then some of those airports may have seasonal schedule. One example of such airports is WYS (Yellowstone Airport), served exclusivle by Delta between May and September (only 7,796 enplaments in 2015).

The latest total number of commercial airports I was able to find (CY15)
lists 544 airports:
https://www.faa.gov/airports/planning_capacity/passenger_allcargo_stats/passenger/media/cy15-commercial-service-enplanements.pdf
The last one on the list, LAF, that just barely made the cut for the "commercial" (2500+ enplaments), has not had scheduled commercial flights since 2004.

So, I suspect the correct number of the airports with regular scheduled commercial flight services might be somewhere between 500 and 600.

Cheers,

Igor

PS. I am always glad to see that I am not the only one who cares for the accuracy of statements. :-)