Ken,
Yes, as I've written in response to your original message, - "Makernote" field needs to be understood by the software that works with the image. Typically, good software, even if it doesn't understand that field, should leave those fields in EXIF intact, just carrying it over when saving a new or edited file. This way you can still open that file in a different software that understands that field (for the required camera).

I don't know how Adobe DNG converter behaves in this respect.

My guess would be if you see, e.g. which lens was used in the converted file, the makernote field has been copied. (But it is possible that it gets written to yet another field in a clear-text format. -- Did someone mention that earlier?)

If you are interested to find out what is in the original file, and which information is carried over, I'd recommend using e.g. ExifTool:
https://www.scantips.com/lights/exif.html , looking at the file
before and after DNG conversion.

Igor