On Thu, Oct 05, 2017 at 05:03:17PM -0400, Stanley Halpin wrote:
> My reading of the Tim Grey comment and other bits and pieces is that we who
> start with DNG will forever lose the Pentax unique data because there is no
> slot in the DNG package for that.

There is a slot in the package - the "MakerNote" tag.
The DNG spec defines that tag.  The camera writes out a MakerNote tag, but the
DNG processor doesn't know anything about the contents of the tag - the only
information it uses is the amount of data included in the tag. But that's more
than enough to be able to copy the tag contents to any new file.

Even those of us who started out with PEF files, and then ran those through the
DNG converter to create DNGs, don't lose the Pentax private data.