I like shooting with a film camera too on occasion, have several with film in them, but this is to a film camera what a baby alligator is to a puppy.

On 10/10/2017 8:12 PM, Larry Colen wrote:

Brian Walters wrote:
On 11 October 2017 at 09:48 "Daniel J. Matyola"<danmaty...@gmail.com>  wrote:

Seems rather stupid to me.

Yeah - Yashica made some fine cameras back in the day.  Now someone has bought the rights to the name and is set on making it a laughing stock.  Or maybe I'm a
bit too old to appreciate this camera's coolness...

It will open up a market for artisanal hand crafted pixels.

It's interesting how in the video the same woman is both ostensibly the photographer and also the model.  I really expected to see a guy with a hipster beard and a fixie bike. At least she had the hipster cigarette going.

The video did have the crappy artsy color balance. I noticed how it was all about the experience and not the image quality. I will note that the canisters do make the settings easier, since you can't worry about ISO etc. you don't have to worry about them. And there is a precedent for the lack of a screen, doesn't Leica do that on one of their cameras? They could advertise the same rear screen as a Leica that costs several times as much. I wonder what the point of the winder is? I guess just to replicate the film experience.

Snark aside, I have noticed that in many ways I much prefer the experience of shooting with a film camera. Photographing with my Argus is an entirely different experience than with my DSLRs.  I haven't run a roll through a film SLR in ages, but being forced to think about everything in advance, and whether each press of the shutter is worth $1 does change the experience.  Be that as it may, there are many reasons that I shoot digital and haven't gone back to film.

    - P.J. O'Rourke