On Sun, Dec 3, 2017 at 1:38 PM Daniel J. Matyola <danmaty...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Does anyone on the list use a drone for photography.  If so, shat do you
> have, how do you use it and what do you recommend?

Hi Dan, I occasionally fly a DJI Phantom 3 drone. It’s a small quadcopter
with a fairly small Sony backlit sensor and a pretty wide angle lens. It
isn’t a fisheye, but it’s close. They do well as a flying big landscape
camera. Mine is 12Mp.
Think point and shoot with wings.
They are limited by their small size. They aren’t stable enough for a long
lens and can’t haul a bigger camera into the air. They are stupidly easy to
fly, and will generally return to home automatically if it senses the need.
Try to make your outward flight into the wind. That way the plane won’t
have to fight the wind coming home.
From a photography perspective, all of the Phantom class copters will have
about the same abilities, the limitation being the small size.

I think there isn’t much in between Phantom sized and big load carrying
machines. The big ones, such as the DJI 1000 series can carry a full sized
DSLR into the air. The price of admission is north of 10 grand. They can be
upwards of 2 meters tip to tip, and have 8 rotors. They have the advantage,
photographically, of being able to carry a bigger payload. Another
advantage ir motor redundancy. If a quadcopter loses a motor, it crashes.
If an octocopter loses one, the pilot should probably turn for home, but
even if two motors go down, the machine will probably make it home.

As more and more areas become no fly zones, it is getting harder and harder
to fly them at all, much less legally. The machines know where they are and
have regions prorammned in where they won’t fly.
It’s possible to thwart this technology, which is why they show up beside
airliners from time to time.

Bill