David Brooks wrote:

[snip]

> ....grabbed the one K1000 i thought was
> empty and popped the back ....Arrgggg,....a
> roll of 160vc still in it(about 25-27 shot)
>
> Quiry,Is the whole roll kaput or would some of
> the pictures in the takeup spool be ok.Back was
> open for about 2 sec as i stared in disbelieve.

Depends on how much light hit the exposed negs. If 27 were wound tightly

on the take-up roll, you did not have a bright spotlight pointed into
the camera, and you closed it promptly, you may lose only a few. If you
had it open for too long and there was a lot of light you may lose more.
   Earliest frames, covered by multiple layers of later frames, probably
ok. Beyond that the only way to find out is to process the film.

> First time in 30+ years of shooting i did this

Sort of thing most people do, ONCE. :)

Unlike our bashful colleagues who won't tell you how they know what
might happen, I will admit to having done it -- once. All 36 frames of
slide film shot after a painstaking outdoor night session. Folded my
tripod, packed up my gear, headed for the nearest bar, ordered a drink
and decided to remove the film and drop it at a lab on the way home. But
I hadn't rewound it. Closed it fast and sweated bullets until the slides
came back from the lab, only lost the last four of five.

Bob