When my last display died I got a Samsung lu28e510ds from costco. I've tried calibrating it with my color munki. It doesn't have automatic brightness control so I have to do that manually.

Interestingly to get it right by the software, I have to set the brightness way down to 20/100 rather than the expected 50.

I did just try adjusting the gamma to Mode 3 which seems to help with the tough lady photo.

This page
https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00043788/
has
Gamma Options:

    Mode1: Gamma 2.2 (Medium)
    Mode2: Gamma 2.0 (High)
    Mode3: Gamma 2.4 (Low)

I don't know what the expected/nominal gamma on a mac is.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Larry Colen wrote:

Paul Stenquist wrote:
Thanks Ann. I go by the histogram for the most part but I might be
over brightening the mid range. Works great for printing, but perhaps
not for web images.

Despite calibrating both of my monitors, theoretically against each
other, there is still a slight difference in brightness between them.
Your processing works perfectly on the darker of my monitors (the
vertical one). In this case it's very interesting to me to hear how
people feel whether this photo is just right, or perhaps a shade bright.

FWIW, it looks good on my phone too, so maybe it was my monitor that was
adjusted to be a bit too bright.

Paul