This group seems free-wheeling enough that you might enjoy hearing what I have
been working on for two days (although I will likely bore some of you into
hitting the trash can icon). It is a stage prop made using the guts of a
Vivitar 283 flash.

Before any of you start screaming and cussing at me for cannibalizing a 283,
hear me out.

This play needed a prop consisting of a small metal bowl on the end of a short
pole, with a strobe lamp inside the bowl rigged so that it would fire when the
actor pushes a button on the side of the pole. The metal bowl will reflect the
light outwards and upwards. One of the adults (this is a local children's
theatre company) asked at the only electronic parts distributor left in town
(30 years ago we had four distributors plus several Radio Shacks) if they could
do the job. They said that they could not, but suggested that they call me.

I told them to see if they could get someone to donate some old camera flash
units for the project. An out-of-town friend of one of the adults donated three
Vivitar 283 flashes, all rather sad looking, all missing their light sensors,
two missing their battery holders, and one even missing its hot shoe.

Next comes some technical explanation that should be familiar to us senior
citizens but may be new information to the young folks in the group. I expect
that some of you have used a Vivitar 283. The original 283 from the late '70s
and early '80s was one of the seven wonders of the world of photography with
automatically controlled flash duration (controlled by the light sensor). Even
one in top condition today would be useless with most DSLRs. Old-school film
SLRs triggered the hot shoe by closing a switch connected to the shutter
button. Flashes of the day put 200-300 volts on the hot shoe, needing a
relatively stout switch to trigger them. That also meant that if you were
stupid enough to pull the flash off the SLR without discharging it you could
get a nasty shock from the flash. In any case the 283 does not support TTL
(through-the-lens) flash control they way that the better current speedlights
do.

Today's DSLRs are generally designed for a much lower trigger voltage in the 5
to 24 volt range. Some models of DSLR may be able to handle trigger voltages up
to 250 volts, but you had better be darn sure that yours will before tying to
use a 30-40 year old flash, as many cameras can sustain electronic damage if
you try to make them handle 200-300 volts on the hot shoe.

All in all those three donated 283s are useless for current use unless you are
using an old-school 35mm SLR, and even then none would control the flash
automatically since all three are missing the light sensors.

It took me an entire working day yesterday to 1) show that all three properly
worked in manual mode (fortunately I had one battery holder), 2) find and
download the service manual (well worth the $4.99 I paid) and read it
thoroughly to familiarize myself with the circuitry (it is a complex beast), 3)
go out and buy some parts and components that I needed, and 4) do most of the
disassembly of my candidate, the saddest looking one which was missing the hot
shoe.

Today I finished the disassembly and started removing bits and pieces that I
don't need, such as the automatic flash duration control circuit and other
gewgaws (if they had room they would probably have included a kitchen sink in
the design). I have been building the prop with some parts from my extensive
electronic scrapyard (I've been collecting electronics of various sorts for
nearly sixty years), a couple of parts bought at the electronic parts
distributor, and some physical components from the home center. I expect to
have it ready to demonstrate at tomorrow afternoon's rehearsal. It will not be
in finished form - it will be in what we radio engineers formally call "proof
of concept" stage. It will be ugly but will demonstrate how well it works.
Informally some call that the "chewing gum and paper clip stage," or as I
prefer to call it, the "baling wire and duct tape" stage. Note that tomorrow
some parts will, in fact, be held together with duct tape (but probably no
baling wire). It will be in its final aesthetically pleasing form in time for
the first dress rehearsal in a couple of weeks.

My total investment will be about twenty hours of labor. At my going labor rate
for my most favored customers (I still work a little for some small locally
owned radio stations) that would amount to 10 Benjamins, and I am donating the
labor. The out-of-pocket cost for parts and materials is another matter as they
have no budget. Fortunately they have three of those Vivitar 283s, so they will
have a complete parts junker to keep the prop working and I will get one as
compensation for my out of pocket expenses. I will modify it for a much lower
contemporary trigger voltage (so I won't fry one of my wireless triggers). The
missing light sensor is no problem as I will add a control to manually set the
flash duration and I will use it as an off-camera flash for fill or
highlighting. It is a 2900 BCPS 5500 Kelvin unit which should work well for me
as a supplementary flash, and my mod will allow me to manually select flash
duration from 1/1000 to 1/30,000 of a second.

Dale H. Cook, 50+ years as an SLR photographer,
Pentax K-70 w/ Pentax-DA 18-270mm lens, using
colored filters for B&W gravestone photography