If you need it, buy it.

I bought a used FA* 400, took it to Alaska and got some nice shots of bears
etc. When I got back home, I sold it and bought a used FA* 300. Both are fine
lenses, but for me (even on the K-1) the 400 is just too long.  On an APS-C
body, it is way too long! Again, for me, it is not usable without a tripod, and
it has too narrow a field of view for what I am likely to shoot. If/when I go
back to Alaska I may buy or rent a 400mm for the trip but I can’t see keeping
one on the shelf in my closet.

I keep hoping that Ricoh will release a 1.4x teleconverter for the K-1 bodies,
and that would allow me to have both!

stan