While I've only been to Katmai twice and both time at Brooks River, I don't find it as interesting as Denali in that there is much more to be exerienced easily in Denali. The buses in Denali open the park to much more exploring on your own than Katmai, which other than Brooks River area is much more strenuous to explore by oneself.

I will say that if you want to photograph bears, Brooks River, at the right time is the place to be, although Denali offers a wider opportunity to capture not only bear but beaver, caribou, moose and wolf. And the landscape is simply awesome.

Denali is my favorite national park - I've been there 4 times and the photography has been awesome !

YMMV

Kenneth Waller

----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniel J. Matyola" <danmaty...@gmail.com>
Subject: OT: Katmai for Wildlife

The June 2018 issue of Outdoor Photography magazine has a nice article on
Katmai National Park, which is truly a nature photographer's heaven.  We
visited the park 30 years ago and it remains one of the most memorable
vacations of my life.  It is much more engaging than Denali, with a lot
more opportunities for encounters with Alaskan wildlife.  In addition, the
Valley of 10,000 Smokes is a site like no other in America.

Of course, back then I shot only film, with my Asahi Spotmatic.  I need to

Katmai is, in my experience, the best of all our national parks, surpassing
even Yosemite and Hawaii Volcanoes.  I highly recommend it to anyone who
has an interest in wildlife and photography.

Dan Matyola