i too used to prefer trail marathons, as opposed to road marathons, when
i used to do half and full a few years back. the annual marathon in my
city usually attracts just about 15,000 runners. definitely not on the
scales you mention.

after i started randonneuring in 2013 i haven't done any. just no
time to do justice to both running and cycling. since i have started
training for a 1200-km brevet in september-end i have just rebooted my
running, as part of cross-training. it's tough after all these years...

Alan, a couple friends did the comrades last year i think...

subash