> On 24 June 2018 at 08:30 Bob W-PDML <p...@web-options.com> wrote:
>

> I have a set of Le Creuset cup measures which have the ml equivalent stamped
> on. I also have a set of French coffee cups in two sizes, and a supposedly
> 8-cup French press for coffee.
>
> The Le Creuset cup measure is 237ml.
>
> This exactly fills the larger French coffee cup, which is the size you get
> when you order a grand crème in France.
>
> The smaller French cup has the same capacity as the Le Creuset 1/2-cup, and
> is the size you get when you order un café. It is twice the size of a
> demi-tasse, in which you would get a single espresso.
>
> The Bodum 8-cup French press holds 4 Le Creuset cups (948ml) of liquid.
>
> Therefore, a US cup is twice the size of a standard European coffee cup.
>
> Bonus information: a mug of the type we drink tea from is slightly larger
> than a US cup, there being about half an inch spare lip space left when full
> of tea, to stop it spilling.
>
> Extra bonus: I have no idea what a fluid ounce is, and not enough capacity
> left in my head to hold that information.
>
> The great benefit of cup (and spoon) measures for cooking is that you can
> easily picture them, and don't have to fanny around; if the recipe says 125cc
> sugar and 200ml of honey you don't know whether they're both one tsp, or a
> tbsp or what, so you have to measure them, but 2 cups of flour and a tsp of
> salt is easy.

Indeed, the proportions for any recipe will be the same, whether you use
Imperial or US cups and suchlike.  But if you use volume measurements for
things that should be measured by mass (i.e. you put in 8 fl oz instead of 8
oz) things will likely go awry.  If I was feeling anything other than bone idle
at the moment, I would go and weigh half a pint of flour and then sugar just to
see what the difference is.