Mentioned that I read an article on PetaPixel that suggested using a defocused technique for fireworks. The idea is to start out of focus & swiftly bring the image into focus during the time the shutter is open.

https://petapixel.com/2018/07/03/how-to-shoot-defocused-firework-photos/

I gave it a try.

Don't think I did a very good job at it. Didn't get any images as good as those that accompanied the article, but one of them is just barely good enough that I'll probably give it another try later this year when they have fireworks at the NC State Fair.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jb_sessoms/41455552270