On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 11:17:31AM -0500, Darren Addy wrote:
> While the race has been on to produce higher and higher resolution
> sensors for digital cameras, while reducing the noise, the future is
> post-processing images to enhance grain/noise and sharpness. It
> appears that this is possible now, but at a very high cost. (It is
> still more economical to buy a more capable camera than to buy the
> hardware that can DO this. But I'm sure that will change in time.
>
> https://news.developer.nvidia.com/ai-can-now-fix-your-grainy-photos-by-only-looking-at-grainy-photos/?ncid=--45511
>
> - Watch the video on that page or the same video here on YouTube:
> https://youtu.be/pp7HdI0-MIo
>
> When costs come down, this will be one of the final nails in the
> coffin of many DSLR camera makers.
>
> It also will mean that great images are not going to require larger
> sensors. Cameras like the newly announced Nikon superzoom P1000 will
> be all a "serious" photographer needs. And currently "unusable" high
> ISOs will suddenly become viable with AI post-processing.
>
> Darren Addy
> Kearney, NE

I don't see how this reduces the demand for (reasonably) high-resolution
sensors.  While the noise-reduction is truly impressive (I'd love to see
what it can do with some of the low-light images I took in the film era),
it's readily apparent that the de-noised images are a little soft.

(I'm also impressed by the sheer amount of rendering power thrown at the
synthetic image in one test - 131,072 samples per pixel!)