Pundits have been touting the death of the DSLR since they were invented.  Eventually the point of ever higher resolutions is lost,  I sold bunch of images made with the K20D and one became an add that covered the size of a bus.   14 to 18 megapixel cameras have reached sufficiency for most professional and amateur work, which probably accounts more for the drop off in DSLR sales than anything else.

As to the nail in the coffin of DSLR makers, there are currently only three and a half DSLR makers.  Nikon, Canon, Pentax and Sony.  You can count Pentax or Sony as the half, Pentax because it has such a small market share, or Sony because it's DSLR is a hybrid which uses it's mirror simply for AF while it's actual viewfinder is an EVF.   I expect Sony will exit that market long before any of the other three, and it won't be higher resolution from software that causes it.