There are so many things that can go wrong with that lens, and the symptoms of one failure can mimic those of another.  Kind of like people.  I've had two fail, had one repaired, and I was able to get my third from KEH;com for less than the cost of the previous repair and shipping.  I think I'd just keep a lookout there for a reasonably priced replacement copy.