Non-compete contract clauses are usually only for a year or two. You
couldn't enforce one beyond that as employment lawyers would
successfully show they impair the executive's ability to make a
living.

Now, maybe they had stock options that vested over 5 or 6 years.
That's kind of long too (3 years is usual) but possible considering
the amount of money involved.

Neither of these were mentioned in the tech press though.

--
-bmw