Yep, I had figured out that expression, but it took me some time before
started thinking about non-literal meaning... :)

The curious fact is that in [at least] a few East-European languages, the head can be called (very informally) a cauldron or teakettle. Also, people can talk about something cooking or boiling in it, describing the process or ability of thinking. E.g.
"The ball hit him on his teakettle". "His cauldron is cooking very well."
So, I suspect the original of the phrase you used might actually stem from a similar usage. (The Stackexchange crowd wrote that the etimology is unclear).

(But then "teakettle" is also often used exactly as "newb" in English. "I am a total teakettle in tango.")

Cheers,

Igor