There are tripods that are sturdy, light, and inexpensive.
Pick any two.
:-)

Igor

P. J. Alling Tue, 13 Nov 2018 10:01:16 -0800 wrote:

I'm sorry Larry, I wish I had a good suggestion for you, but I too am in need of a decent tripod.

My search for one that is a.) of good quality, that will support the weight of a DSLR and a moderately heavy tele lens b.) light enough that I won't leave it behind, and c.) relatively inexpensive has proved fruitless so far. The closest I've come was visiting the last local full service camera store, and I happened in on a manufactures day.

IIRC the Manfrotto rep. had a lightish weight aluminum field/studio unit with a very nice ball head, as a show special for about 1/3 regular price. A great deal but beyond my budget at the time.

Haven't seen a deal that good since.