In my experience, consumer computing technologies gave boost to higher paper consumption, including very frequently senseless paper waste. In the era of typewriters, for a few errors, people would use a white-out, and only occasionally would reprint the entire page. With computers, people thoughtlessly reprint the entire 10-20 page-long because of a minor typo on page 19. ... and then once more, and then again.

But often, the higher paper consumption does help productivity.
Guilty as charged: while preparing grant proposals or publications, or reviewing those of others, - most of the time I do that on paper. It's just much easier to see things, and you can have many pages in view (if you have a large table or couch).

So, I was very surprised to hear about the paper being the reason
for the office-product companies' financial problems.

Igor