On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 11:37 AM Igor PDML-StR <pdml...@komkon.org> wrote:

> This shot got me wondering about its truthfulness:
> https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-6405507/The-stunning-winners-panoramic-photography-awards-revealed.html
> The round-shaped rainbow with the arc exceeding 180 degrees that did not
> get distorted despite panoramic stitching.

Rainbows are circular (they form a 42-degree circle around the
anti-solar point). If you're not used to seeing them that way, I think
it's for two reasons: The projection used by rectilinear lenses
distorts the circular shape if the rainbow is off-center, and quite
often most of the rainbow is below the horizon, so we only see the top
portion, which I think fools the eye into thinking it's more like a
parabola or other shape.

Panorama stitching software usually has a number of options for the
projection, and I assume at least some of them preserve the true
circular shape.

You can see more than 180 degrees of a rainbow if you are up high and
have rainy air below you. Pictures of >180 degree rainbows taken from
aircraft are fairly common; see, for example:
https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap140930.html