If you're in the Cotswolds and going to Avebury, up the Fossway there's a Roman
Villa that's worth a visit. In the general area, there's a wonderful earthworks
called "Maiden's Castle" that's worth a half day hike, and of course there's
the huge Uffington White Horse and the walk along the ridge above it, including
a Neolithic burial site called Waylen's Smithy (the model that JRR Tolkien used
for the Barrow Downs in Lord of the Rings...).