> On 16 June 2019 at 18:56 John <jsessoms...@nc.rr.com> wrote:
>

> On 6/16/2019 13:37:47, Larry Colen wrote:
> >

> > John wrote on 6/16/19 10:33 AM:
> >> It's not a pigeon, and both of them look like cardboard cutouts.
> >
> > If not a pigeon, what is it?
> >

> Looks like a Eurasian Collared-Dove. They're an invasive species in Texas &
> the
> Southeastern U.S., although they have been spotted as far west as Oregon.
>
> https://www.texasinvasives.org/animal_database/detail.php?symbol=22
>
> Pigeons (what we call pigeons here in the U.S.) are doves, but not all doves
> are
> pigeons.

It (the species) invaded the UK in the early 50s.  By 1972 it was where I lived
halfway up England, at which point I moved 200 miles north.  It took until the
mid 1990s to reach me and it is ubiquitous now.  I saw them in Edinburgh, 150
miles north, earlier this year so the spread appears to be slowing.  The damned
things never shut up.