gfen wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, David Brooks wrote:
> > >Its "Gary," but I'm becoming accustomed to Glen tehse days. :)
> > Sorry
> Don't sweat it, I've always hated my name, so its easier to use a first
> intial. However, since it runs together, its always read as Glen.

Just to confuse things, this wound up being the point at which I
took a peek at my huge mailing list backlog...

(FWIW, I don't hate my first name, but I never got used to using
it.  So I tell people the 'D' stands for "Da one and only".)

> I think that the first roll was very muich a learning experience. I know
> my next one should be that much better off.

I had a dramatic case of beginner's luck on my first roll and
therefore didn't learn anything from it (other than how
incredibly nifty HIE is).  I've since shot rolls I can learn
from.

> The other thing I did was actually work to focus, rather than just rely on
> the deeper depth of field. My lens was equiped with an IR focus mark, I
> guess we'll see how well it wroked.

I actually choose lenses to use with IR based on whether they
have the IR focus mark or not.  (*Most* of mine do.)

> I'm all about being hyped up on it. I'm actually thinking I want to try
> some of the colour stuff, sometime.

Twice as expensive, less predictable, but still wacky fun.
Actually easier to use:  because you're mixing plenty of visible
light with the IR (only one dye layer is sensitive to IR, so if
you cut out all the visible light you'll get monochrome images),
you _have_to_ rely on DOF (or one of those ultra-corrected
lenses) to bring all the wavelengths in focus.  So no more
remembering to refocus to the IR mark.  And I had great luck
using Kodak's reccommendation of shooting at 200 ASA and
metering through the filter.

Funky colours I expected.  Discovering that someone's beard was
transparent to some wavelengths and not others kind of surprised
me.  (That's visible in one of my past PUG entries.)  When I can
afford it, I want to shoot some Kodak EIR in a 3D camera.

(BTW, I don't have my 3D HIE back yet (from a couple months
ago), but my friend who was shooting the same stuff in a Nimslo
the same day that I was shooting it in a Nishika did get his
printed.  He didn't bracket (which would have been a matter of
flipping the camera between 100 ASA and 400 ASA); just shot
everything at 400 ASA with the filter extending over the meter
window.  So everything came out overexposed but still printable.
The verdict:  despite the grain, IR does work for stereo-pair
3D, and does in fact make for a cool effect.)

> > Maybe we need a Brotherhood <G>
> I'm not really a fan of te funny hat thing. :)

Oooh, don't *tempt* me with a straight line like that.  I could
suggest plenty of articles of clothing besides hats for our
uniform...

                                        -- D. Glenn Arthur Jr.,
                                           wondering what in my
                                           wardrobe has an