> On Apr 15, 2020, at 10:43 PM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:
>
> It’s funny how what would be a nice warm up before the serious part of a
> ride, when you’re in shape, can kind of kick your butt on your fourth ride of
> the year (or fifth ride in too many years).  I am rather fortunate that there
> are some very nice bike rides in my area, particularly if you enjoy hills.
> I’ve been trying to take it easy, using the granny gears and staying off the
> steep grades. There were a couple of times my cyclometer said 10%, but I
> think it was just confused, I doubt I did much riding past 5%.
>
> In the department of “built for comfort not for speed”, that is to say my
> bike, I’m not built for either, here’s a photo of my current nice roadbike:
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/49779560781/in/album-72157713909811417/
>
> It’s a Soma Doublecross steel (cyclocross style frame), triple gear front
> crankset (any ride within 30 miles of my house involves hills, and I’ve
> depended on that granny gear low for 40 years)
> Suspension forks with cantilever brakes, you can’t see them in this photo but
> I’ve got the inline brakes on the upper bar so I can ride in a comfortable
> position.  With everything off the bike, it’s 32 pounds, with both bags,
> water, camera and second lens, etc. it weighed in at 44 pounds.  I figure
> that with me pushing 200 lbs, it’s more cost efficient to lose 30 pounds off
> the rider than 10 pounds off the bike.
>
> I saw this toy by the side of the road yesterday and had to get a photo
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/49779052848/in/album-72157713909811417/
>
> Though I suspect some on this list would be more interested in the toy parked
> next to it
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/49779053588/in/album-72157713909811417/
>
> Full set at:
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/albums/72157713909811417
>
> If you do any hiking on the west coast, an important rhyme to learn is
> “leaves of three, let it be”
>
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/49779936812/in/album-72157713909923417/
>
> Here’s a shot I rather like of some lupin
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/49779587901/in/album-72157713909923417/
It’s a lovely one but I also like several others, such as

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/49779063053/in/album-72157713909923417/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/49779928117/in/album-72157713909923417/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/49779940032/in/album-72157713909923417/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/49779940947/in/album-72157713909923417/

And for the life of me I wouldn’t be able to decide which crop I like better
between these two:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/49779935537/in/album-72157713909923417/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/49779072773/in/album-72157713909923417/

I’m glad I don’t need to choose!