Not sure what you're talking about, Paul.

Mac OS was 32bit since release in 2001. It was enabled with 64bit in the middle
'00s when 64bit compatible hardware started to become available, and has now
switched to 64bit only in the release of macOS Catalina. VueScan has had 32 and
64bit versions available for macOS for about a decade now.

What model and year computer do you have?
What processor and RAM are in it?
What version of MacOS is installed?
How are your printer and scanner connected to it?
What do you mean, "the computer doesn't see the scanner or printer"? What are
you using to indicate whether or not the devices are available?

I don't use Epson Scan, I use VueScan. I connect my ancient, 2004 generation
Epson 2460 flatbed scanner to a Mac mini 2019 running Catalina via a USB-C to
USB A plug adapter, plug in the scanner, and run VueScan. It connects right up
and drives the scanner. I'm sure it would drive your scanner, but I don't have
a cable long enough to test it... :)