Would that be a ruffled flounce or a lace frill?

On 5/27/2021 14:09:44, mike wilson wrote:
Relegated to an "other".  Should I flounce off as well?

Nah.  It's not all about me.

On 27 May 2021 at 18:51 Stanley Halpin <s...@stans-photography.info> wrote:

There was a bit of discussion (and consternation) here recently when one of the
longtime members of this group declared “I am outta here” or words to that
effect.

I copy/pasted much of the ensuing discussion and sent it on to the dear
departed (sorry, can’t resist using that phrase!) Just in case he had signed
off before the discussion occurred.  And I asked “so, what’s up with you?”

In brief, the individual has understandably been under a bit of stress.
Spending long periods listening to warning sirens while huddled with your
family in bomb shelters can do that to you.

All of this got me to reflecting on this group. This is an interesting group. I
am not sure if I was the first to make this sort of move, but back at least 20
years ago I was at least one of the first to use the List to make connections
when I traveled. Frank and Dave and others in Toronto, including an evening at
a Blue Jays baseball game. Bob and Cotty and others in England. Gianfranco and
Dario and others in Italy: Venice, Rome, Naples,Ravenna…  Lasse and others in
Sweden and Aland. Boris in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem and Haifa. Henk and others in
Amsterdam and Amersfoort. Rob and a bunch of others in Sydney and Melbourne and
Adelaide. Jostein in Oslo (and Salisbury and Tenerife) and Paul and Bob in
Milwaukee. And Mark in Boston and of course the Chicago weekend organized by
Mark and Christine. And the Grandfather gatherings.  And photo meetups for
weekends in D.C. And that is just me and off the top of my head. I can recall
hearing of many NYC meetups and others, often on occasion of visitors from
outside the U.S. passing through on business or vacation. Larry and John on the
West Coast, Ann and Dan on the East Coast have provided something of a nexus in
those regions.

An interesting group. Formed around a common interest in photography in
general, the proper and effective use of Pentax gear in particular. Not exactly
tight knit, but close enough that we can ask favors of one another, close
enough that we can (mostly) trust one another when buying/selling gear, close
enough that we can share our feeble attempts at artistry without fear of
ridicule and humiliation. Maybe close enough that we could reach out to someone
in difficulty and without feeling like an intrusive stranger? I do know that
there is no generic answer, we members are not all alike. But, for me, for some
of us, maybe, we could work a bit on thinking about reaching out to provide
comfort to one another occasionally? Just a thought.

And now back to my regularly scheduled attempt to get a decent shot of the
Oriole at the feeder…

Stan

%(real_name)s Pentax-Discuss Mail List