On 7/15/2021 12:49 AM, Larry Colen wrote:
It looks like Ricoh is coming out with a new version of the 16-50:

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/star_lens/special/sp_da16-50/interview/

My first thought is that they really ought to have made it a 15-50 or some
other adjustment to the range just so it isn’t confused for the original.

I also note that this bodes well for K-3 iii owners, but maybe not so well for
the K-1 crowd.

The K1 crowd just got a full refresh of the 31mm, 43mm and 77mm Limited lenses. Last year was the D FA*85/1.4 and the DFA 70-210/4, the only lenses introduced that year.. The year before that was the refresh of the 35/2 along with a refreshed DA10-17, in 2017 they introduced the DFA*50/1.4. In 2016, two of the three lenses they introduced were full frame lenses and in 2015 three of the five lenses they introduced were for full frame. That year they also released a 645 lens.

The D FA 21mm LTD (another lens for the K1 crowd) will likely be announced within the next couple of months and should be on the market sometime in the fall.

I don't think the release of a lens to replace one that desperately needed replacing in the APS-C format is any kind of portent of bad things for full frame.

What was concerning was the lack of a new APS-C flagship. The K3 is a 2013 release, and it got mildly pimped up up in 2015. Six to eight years was starting to look like the APS-C line was being relegated to red haired stepchild status, with second tier bodies becoming all that those users were going to be offered.

I expect that the Pentax 645 line isn't going forwards. I suspect they will quietly abandon it.

bill
--
%(real_name)s Pentax-Discuss Mail List