On 7/15/2021 1:14 AM, mike wilson wrote:

On 15 July 2021 at 07:49 Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:

It looks like Ricoh is coming out with a new version of the 16-50:

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/star_lens/special/sp_da16-50/interview/

My first thought is that they really ought to have made it a 15-50 or some
other adjustment to the range just so it isn’t confused for the original.

I also note that this bodes well for K-3 iii owners, but maybe not so well for
the K-1 crowd.

In any case, it will be interesting to see how it actually performs once it is
available.

I must admit to a burning curiosity over the "strict standards of the
next-generation star series" which, without the benefit of futuresight, I would have
described as theoretical aspirations.  Or maybe I just woke up particularly skeptical
this morning.

You just haven't been paying attention. The Star series lenses are moving towards optical performance with no compromises, and sufficiently high optical standards to be able to support much higher pixel densities.

One of the things I noticed when moving up the pixel count ladder was that lenses that were great at 6mp became lens and less good as the pixel count increased and their weaknesses were exaggerated. Ricoh is making the new Star lenses to a much higher optical standard in an attempt to future proof the designs as much as possible.

And yes, they are also moving towards being very expensive objects. The price of admission for the 16-50 will be in the US$2k range, which is a significant price jump from the just over US$1k price of the lens it is replacing.

bill
--
%(real_name)s Pentax-Discuss Mail List